Friday, July 20, 2012

oooh.. so original

The other day I went to Babies R Us to pick up some stuff we had ordered online. I walked in and asked the clerk and he got all my information and began pulling up our order record. Suddenly he says, "Jennifer Tilley.... Jennifer Tilley. Wait, isn't there an actress with that name?"

Ugh. here we go again. "Yes, there is." I say nicely. Can't be too annoyed with him, right? Even though I've heard it a million times doesn't mean he's said it a million times.  Yet.

Then he preceded to name every movie and show he could think of that she's been in. As he did so, his excitement was rising. Was I supposed to give him a high five for knowing a bunch of movie titles that a chick with my same name played in or something?

Anyway, they he says, "I'll call to the back and have them bring up all your stuff. Watch this!" He picks up his radio. "Hey Mark, can you bring up the order for Jennifer Tilley? The ACTRESS." Then he looks at me like I'm supposed to amazed by his cleverness.

While I wait for this Mark guy to bring up my order, he starts helping other customers, to what I thought would be my relief. Nope. I was wrong.

"That's Jennifer Tilley right there. You know.. like the actress? Yeah, that's her real name!" He said to EVERY. SINGLE. PERSON. in line. They were about as amused as I was. Did he get the hint that he wasn't all that funny? Ten solid minutes of this was a little over board, I thought. I mean, I get the incredibly miraculous phenomenon of two people having the same names, but still.

Then Lorelei pipes up, "Mom, why does that weird guy keep telling people your name?"  Loud enough for him to hear I reply, "You know, I'm wondering the same thing."

Finally Mark shows up, only he forgot some of my stuff and had to go back.. leaving me there even longer to deal with this psycho yahoo.  Eventually I'm on my way out the door, and just when I think the awkwardness is over- "Bye Jennifer Tilley! Great job in the movies!!"

uuugh.

No comments: