Saturday, November 3, 2012

Thankfulness, Day 3

Today, I am thankful for being a mom. If there's one thing I've learned in the last handful of years, its that being a mom isn't a given just because I'm an adult female. During all of our miscarriages the idea of being a mom began to drift further and further away. I knew in my heart God had a family in mind for us, but I would be lying if I said doubt was never running rampant in my mind and heart. 

Today we had such a fun day with Lorelei and Addison. We went to this Family Fun day at the local library. There were clowns and fire breathers and a snake charmer. There was even a 'stilt walker'. Although, arguably, he was more of a 'stilt stander' than a 'walker' as he wasn't actually capable of moving without falling. We had so much fun together even though the entire event was incredibly cheesy. The girls loved it, and that alone made standing around all day totally worth it. 

Later today we went to Starbucks. We each got our delicious drinks as we sat and played UNO as a family for a while. Prior to children, if I were going to sit at Starbucks for an extended period of time, you can bet it wouldn't be to play UNO. Or any other card game. Ever. But having kids changes everything.

Each night I get to tuck the girls into bed. We have a cute little routine that we go through each evening. They both pray, then I pray. Then it's lots of hugs and kisses. As I hug each of them I tell them one thing from the day that made me proud of them, and I remind them that I LOVE being their mom and I am so glad they're mine. As I walk out of their room, Lorelei, without fail says, "Sweet dreams, Mom! I love you, Mom! Good night, Mom! Muahh! Mom!" My night just isn't the same without those sweet little words. And I know the day is coming when she'll decide not to say them anymore. My heart already dreads it.

The thing about being a mom is that it's a lot of work. More than anyone realizes until you're a mom. but more than all of that- being a mom changes you. From the inside out. It starts in the mind and in the heart and very quickly the role of 'mom' completely transforms who you are.  For the better.

I know there are parts of my life that would just be meaningless and empty if it weren't for the children that call me Mom. My entire future is geared towards these precious little people that own my heart, and I wouldn't have it any other way because anything else just seems frivolous and selfish. It's often said that people are generally happiest when pouring into and giving to others. If you do it right, being a mom means endlessly and relentlessly dong just that. Giving and pouring into your children with all you have, from the deepest parts of who you are. It's both exhausting and exhilarating.  It's draining and refreshing. It's biter and it's sweet. It's equally sacrifice and reward. 

And no matter the kind of day, no matter the frustrations, the challenges, the strong wills of tiny people- I am so undeservingly blessed to be trusted with all three of these children. I thank God daily that He would allow me to be their mom. I am so humbled that He would choose me, of all people, to guide and mold Lorelei, Addison, and Jackson. The fact that I get to be their mom is just astounding. Simple as that.  

I am very thankful for them, and very thankful for the role I get to play in their lives. I love being a mom. 


Lorelei- "I'm thankful for all of the blessings that God gives us. I like that we get blessings like real good movies and funny ones, too. And ones that have happy endings. I also like all of our pictures, and those are blessings, too.  And money because then we get to buy lots of stuff. And that's what dads are for. To get us money. God blessed us with a good dad who gets us money."

Addison- "I'm thankful that God makes us and that Daddy made my name Rain because that's my middle name. I love the name Rain because Daddy named me that. That's all I am really thankful for right now."

No comments: